The Solomon Islands Electricity Authority have conducted an investigation into the feasibility of implementing a solar PV power plant to provide energy to the electricity network supplying Honiara. ITP Renewables was commissioned in 2014 to undertake a feasibility study to determine the suitability and viability of a solar power station located on a site close to the Lungga power station. The work included:
- preliminary design and performance assessment of the proposed solar power station
- modelling the electricity network to perform static and dynamic testing of the impact of the solar power plant
- economic modelling of the plant’s impact with respect to cost of fuel/diesel generation
- financial assessment of developing the project
- recommendations for follow up actions and next steps required for the project to move forward
- discussion of environmental risks and potential mitigations.